Very close to Montefalco, Bevagna rises on the ancient Via Flaminia. A thriving Roman municipium, it played a central role on the trading routes. After being made part of the Papal States, in the eleventh century it became a Free Commune ruled by consuls. The city’s current appearance, with its gates and walls girding it almost completely even today, is the result of its development in the Medieval era. Inside the walls, Palazzo dei Consoli is worth a visit; since 1886, it has housed the small Teatro Torti and the Romanesque churches of San Silvestro and San Michele Arcangelo, dating to the twelfth century. Not far from the central piazza are the Roman baths, with the Temple conserving interesting mosaics.